Thursday, August 14, 2008
Stuffed roasted peppers
bell peppers (red, green, yellow, whichever you fancy)
dark soy sauce
How to make stuffed roasted peppers
1. Slice off the tops of 4 (extra)large red and/or green bell peppers.(I like them both; or whichever type of pepper you fancy) Core and de-seed them. Set aside. Preheat the oven at 400dF.
2. Saute 1 medium onion (roughly chopped) + 2 garlic cloves (minced) in 5 T olive oil.
3. Add 3/4 C roughly chopped carrots + 1/2 C diced celery + 1 C corn kernels + 2 medium tomatoes (diced), season with s&p and cook until the vegetables have softened. Feel free to add more olive oil, should it get too dry.
4. Add 1/5 lbs ground turkey. Mix well with the vegetables, cover the pan with the lid and cook for about 15 mins or until the meat has browned.
5. Now we're ready for more seasonings. Add 1 chicken cube + 2 T worcestershire sauce + 2 T dark soy sauce + more s&p + 3 T tomato ketchup + 1 T brown sugar. Mix well. Add 1 C grated cheddar cheese.
6. Now it's time for a taste-test. Adjust the seasonings should it be needed. Finally, add 1.5 C cooked brown rice. Mix throughly.
7. Stuff the peppers with the filling (juices and all) and place in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 30-45 mins.
8. Remove the foil and sprinkle more grated cheddar cheese on top of each stuffed pepper.
9. Pop the dish back in the oven just to melt the cheese.
10. Serve fresh from the oven.