Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Braised Short Ribs
1/4 pound of bacon, chopped
8 small short ribs
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 pint of hefeweizen
1 32 oz. box of organic beef broth
5 dashes of worchester sauce
salt and pepper for seasoning How to make Braised Short Ribs
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Sweat bacon in dutch oven over medium heat.
3. Sear all sides of short ribs in bacon fat. Remove short ribs to plate.
4. Sweat celery, onion and carrots in pan until translucent.
5. Add crushed garlic cloves and tomato paste.
6. Stir in tomato paste and carmelize.
7. Deglaze pan with hefeweizen.
8. Place short ribs back in pan and cover with beef broth. Shake in worchester sauce.
9. Place in preheated oven for three hours.
10. Remove short ribs and separate ribs from sauce to cool (better to cool overnight in the fridge).
11. When ready to serve, remove layer of fat from sauce and combine with short ribs in a saucepan over medium low heat, just enough to heat up sauce and meet to a simmer.
12. Serve and enjoy!