Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Creamy Parmesan Spinach
- 2 bunches spinach, washed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 2 tsp flour
- olive oil
- 2 cup non-fat milk (whole milk or cream can be substituted)
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make Creamy Parmesan Spinach
1. Lightly fry garlic in olive oil. When fragrant (do not let brown or burn), add onion.
2. When onion is tender, add the spinach leaves and cover pot to steam. Do not add water.
3. Stir until spinach is completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove spinach, place in colander and drain excess liquid.
4. In same pot, melt butter and add flour. Quickly stir to form a roux. Add cooked spinach and coat with the roux.
5. Add milk or cream and parmesan cheese. Stir until dish is thickened.
6. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve hot.