Wednesday, September 17, 2008
1lb Pancetta or Bacon
1 whole Eggplant or 4 mini Japanese Eggplants, sliced
1 can of Roma Tomatoes, crushed
2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
4 clove of Garlic, peeled and sliced
2 tsp Dried Oregano
2 tsp chopped chili
1/2 cup Dry Vermouth or White Wine
Boil pasta in salted boiling water for half the time it takes to cook. Drain and set aside. It should be hard in the middle.
- On a hot pan, render bacon fat. Takes about 10 mins on med-low heat.
- Using bacon fat, fry eggplants with chili, garlic, oregano and black pepper.
- When eggplants turn light brown, add in tomato puree, saute for further 5 mins.
- Add white wine and deglaze bacon residue.
- Add in pasta and crushed tomatoes. Simmer until pasta is al dente.
- Add EVOO. Season. Serve.