Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Eggplant Parm Pizza
1 medium eggplant
1 cup breadcrumbs (again, store bought or homemade)
spices to taste (salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, crushed red pepper)
1 TBS milk
1 pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
shredded Cheese (I use a mixture of mozz. and cheddar-personal preference)
1 orange (or red or yellow) pepper
1 small onion
2 cloves peeled garlic
How to make Eggplant Parm Pizza
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Slice eggplant about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
3. Spread slices on baking sheet (I highly recommend stoneware backing sheets!), and lightly sprinkle with salt. Place a paper towel, or kitchen towel over the top.
4. Let rest for 10 min.
5. Press down on towel to remove excess water.
6. Mix milk with egg in a bowl/dish deep enough to dip pieces of eggplant. Mix breadcrumbs with any spices of your desire-I used some salt, pepper, garlic and thyme.
7. Dip pieces of eggplant in egg, then in breadcrumbs.
8. Place on baking sheet and place in oven for 20-25 min. or until eggplant is cooked almost completely.
9. Remove, let cool, and then cut into bite size chunks.
10. While eggplant is cooking, prepare the pizza dough by rolling out. Sprinkle cornmeal on the pizza stone you will be using to cook pizza on.
11. Chop up onion and pepper into bite size pieces, and thinly slice the 2 cloves of garlic.
12. Spread dough with sauce.
13. When eggplant is finished, cover dough with eggplant, onion, pepper and garlic slices.
14. Cover with your desired amount of cheese.
15. Place in oven for 10-14 min.